Queen Anne’s celebrates cultural diversity and welcomes girls for whom English is an additional language.
All pupils are assured of equal access to the curriculum using English as the means of instruction. We are therefore committed to making appropriate provision of teaching and resources to enhance our international students’ competent and confident use of English in order to achieve their educational goals, both at Queen Anne’s and beyond.
Subject Information Needs Assessment
On arrival at Queen Anne’s, each international student sits a placement test to assess her current English language ability, which may have altered since she gained a place at the school. Girls are closely and continually monitored with input from subject teachers, tutors and house staff informing any decisions or amendments to their EAL tuition.
Teaching and Learning
In all year groups, EAL lessons:
- improve language skill and communicative ability
- provide a relaxed and friendly learning environment
- support other academic subjects in which the girls are fully integrated and expected to take as active a part as their peers
- are where mistakes are accepted and viewed as an essential part of learning
- are taught in small groups
- provide English language qualifications
- are timetabled, usually during Modern Foreign Language (MFL) lessons, Latin lessons and/or Preparation sessions
- will prepare girls for a Cambridge ESOL examination in December or June
- are based in the main school building
- are taught in purpose-built classrooms