Tuesday 2nd December 2014
Read all about our sporting highlights from the last week:
Sporting Highlights, week commencing Monday 24 November
There were some mixed fortunes this week for our different teams as they took on some of their toughest competitions to date.
On Saturday 29 November, there were 12 home matches against Berkhamsted School, involving 3 wins, 2 draws and 7 losses with our senior and middle school sides achieving some notable results against quality opposition.
- The 1st team came back superbly after going behind to win 11-6, highlighting the mental toughness and team spirit that will be needed as they prepare for Nationals next term. The Players’ Player was Gabriella Austin and commendations went to Jessica De Mulder and Alex Crowther.
- The 2nds lost a hard fought match, 3-5, with Jessica Roberts being awarded the Players’ Player Award. Kate Hillas and Kendra Broome were commended.
- Meanwhile the 3rds enjoyed a runaway 8-0 victory with Fayha Mohammed named the Players’ Player and commendations were awarded to Matilda Brock, Verity Taylor and Catherine Gass.
- The U15A team drew their match 10-10 despite their team being slightly weakened due to a few injuries and illness. Ella Harris had another great game and was named Players’ Player with Georgina Evans and Cassandra Shutter commended.
- Other headlines were made by the U14B team who won an extremely close match 6-5 and the U13B team who drew 6-6 with Imogen Williams, Rachael Hanson, Madeleine Pavey, Sophia Ekundayo, Daisy de Norman, Grace Smith and Lyra Cherry all having excellent games. It was tough day for the U12A, B and C teams who were all beaten but the experience they gained was invaluable against Berkhamsted Junior sides that had been playing together for much longer.
During the middle of last week, two of our netball teams took part in fixtures against Downe House on Wednesday 26 November, with the U15A team working hard and energetically in their 17-13 victory while a slightly depleted U15B team lost 6-9. Player of the Match went to Ella Harris in the A team and Izzy Zealley in the B team. Commendations were awarded to Alice Oram, Olivia Shearn and Rebecca Washer.
Members of our Swimming Squad also took part in a ‘B’ Gala at Downe House on Wednesday, providing a great opportunity for several girls to represent Queen Anne’s for the first time and other swimmers to test themselves in a weaker stroke or against older competition. All the girls competed in the spirit of a fun ‘B’ Gala and gained valuable experience, with stand-out performances by Jasmine Booth, Camille Blunt and Rosie Griffin. Lottie Botterill, Cliona Muir and Maria Madridojos also highlighted their potential for future events.
Written by Alexandra Crowther, Head of Sport